- I agree to attend the annual Spring Gathering on March 9, 2019.
- I understand that my membership will not become active until HGNC receives my $40 membership, and $5 key fee for new members, upon submission of this form.
- In the interest of protecting our environment, HGNC aims to use non-toxic solutions to soil health and horticulture problems. Synthetic chemicals (for example, pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers), are prohibited. I agree to contact a Board member for approval before using any non-organic method or substance anywhere in the garden.
- I agree to respect my fellow garden members and visitors with my actions and in my communications.
- I agree to support and assist with fundraising efforts of HGNC.
- I grant Hansberry Garden & Nature Center permission to use my likeness in a photograph, video, or other digital media in any and all of its publications, including web-based publications, without payment or other consideration.
- I understand that neither HGNC, the HGNC Board, nor any HGNC member is responsible for my actions. I therefore agree to indemnify and hold harmless HGNC Inc., or its Board, collectively or individually, for any liability, loss or claim that occurs in connection with the use of HGNC by me or any of my family or guests.
- I understand that I am responsible for any damage, loss or theft caused by me, my family and/or my guests and that I may be subject to making restitution to HGNC for such damage.
- New members agree to attend one of three scheduled orientation sessions on
- Saturday, March 16, 2019, from 10 – 11 a.m. or
- Sunday, March 17, 2019, from 3 – 4 p.m. or
- Thursday, March 21, 2019, from 6 – 7 p.m.
- Returning members will pay the $40 membership fee and submit membership agreements by March 9 in order to maintain use of the same bed assigned to them the previous year.
- If membership has not been renewed by March 9, use of the same bed is not guaranteed. Beds will be reassigned beginning March 10.
- Returning members will notify the Membership Chair by March 9 if they do not plan to participate as Planting Members for the upcoming planting season, and will return the garden and shed keys to the Membership Chair.
NEW this year!
Returning members who have gardened with HGNC for at least one season consecutively may now renew beginning Feb. 7 to take advantage of early spring crops and early bed preparation as soon as the ground thaws.
Privileges of Planting Membership
- Each $40 planting membership fee covers one planting bed. There is an additional cost of $5 for first set of keys. Replacement keys are at market rate.
- Members have full access to tools, water and supplies stored in the tool shed and gardening resources available on site to cultivate their own beds.
- Members are entitled to attend Board meetings, special members’ events, and all community events or workshops.
Rules of Participation
- Membership Requirements Include:
- Members will commit to participating in a minimum of three Member Work Days during the year of this membership. All members will be notified of dates and times of work days in advance.
- Additionally, members also agree to devote a minimum of 10 volunteer hours (beyond the time spent working on their own beds) to a choice of necessary garden maintenance tasks during the growing season (March – November).
- Each member will volunteer in some capacity, a minimum of six hours per growing season, to at least one committee, event, or project.
- Children are always welcome and encouraged to come to the garden to play or plant. In the interest of safety, children must be accompanied and supervised by at least one adult, age 18 or older, for the duration of their visit.
- Members will notify the Membership Chair of extended absences during the growing season to specify maintenance and harvest arrangements during the absence.
- Plants in members’ beds must not block walkways or impinge upon neighboring beds.
- Members will not plant outside their beds unless approved by the Landscape/Maintenance Chair.
- Members agree to harvest produce in a timely manner from their bed. If ripe produce is neglected in a bed, members should expect to hear from someone about donating their produce to the City Harvest Program.
- Members are encouraged to attend Board meetings. Board meetings will appear on HGNC’s online calendar
- Membership Renewal opens February 7.
- Membership Renewal deadline to keep your bed from 2018: March 9. This is the day of the Spring Gathering, a required meeting for new members, held from 10 am to noon.
- Unrenewed beds will be assigned to new members beginning March 10.
- Key Return Deadline is also March 9
- Summer crops must be cleared from beds by November 1, after which remaining crops are donated through City Harvest, unless members request an extension for specific plants that are still producing, and/or for overwintering and cover crops.
- HGNC operates on an honor system; membership in this garden is a position of trust. Accordingly, theft of any kind from members or of HGNC property will result in the immediate loss of membership and all attendant privileges, loss of right to harvest, and/or possible legal action.
- HGNC is a welcoming and fully inclusive organization that strives to maintain an environment of amity and mutual respect. Therefore, insulting, rude, or otherwise inappropriate conduct that the Board determines to be consistently disruptive to our community may result in loss of membership and its attendant privileges.