Hansberry Garden and Nature Center 2017 Membership Agreement
By submitting this membership agreement, I certify that I have read, understand, and support the mission and goals of Hansberry Garden and Nature Center, Inc. (HGNC). I agree to abide by the following rules and conditions, and I also agree to abide by any further rules established by the HGNC Board of Directors.
- In the interest of protecting our environment, HGNC aims to use non-toxic solutions to gardening problems. Synthetic chemicals (for example, pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers), are prohibited. In questionable cases, a designated committee of the Board will make a decision after full consideration of the issue.
- I understand that neither HGNC, the HGNC Board, nor any HGNC member is responsible for my actions. I therefore agree to hold harmless HGNC, its Board, and its individual members for any liability, loss or claim that occurs in connection with the use of HGNC by me or any of my family or guests.
- I understand that I am responsible for any damage, loss or theft caused by me, my family and/or my guests and that I may be subject to making restitution to HGNC for such damage.
- I understand that my membership will not become active until HGNC receives my $40 membership and $5 key fee upon submission of this form.
- I agree to respect my fellow garden members with my actions and in my communications.
- I agree to support and assist with fundraising efforts of the garden.
- I agree to attend the annual Spring Gathering on March 25, 2017.
- New members agree to attend one of two scheduled orientation sessions on
- Sunday, March 26, 1:30 – 2:30 p.m. or
- Saturday, April 8, 2 – 3 p.m.
- Returning members must pay the $40 membership fee and submit membership agreements by March 31, 2017, in order to maintain use of the same beds assigned to them the previous year.
Privileges of Membership
- Each $40 planting-membership fee covers one planting bed and one set of keys.
- Members are allowed access to tools, water and supplies stored in the tool shed and gardening resources available on site to cultivate their own beds.
- Members are entitled to attend Board meetings, special Members Events, and all community events or workshops.
Rules of Participation
- Members must participate in a minimum of two Member Work Days during the year of this membership. All members will be notified of dates and times of work days in advance.
- Members agree to devote a minimum of 10 hours (beyond the time spent working on their own beds) to assigned garden-maintenance tasks during the growing season (April – November).
- Members are required to communicate all garden work done to the Landscape and Maintenance Committee Chair. Directions on how to report time spent on tasks will be posted online and at the garden.
- Members will notify the Membership Chair of extended absences.
- Plants in members’ beds must not block walkways or impinge upon neighboring beds.
- Members will not cut, remove, or plant outside their beds unless approved to do so by the Landscape/Maintenance Chair or the Board of Directors.
- Members agree to harvest produce in a timely manner from their bed. If a bed is noticeably neglected, HGNC reserves the right to donate produce from that bed to the City Harvest Program. To opt out of this program, contact the City Harvest Chair.
- Members are encouraged to attend Board meetings. Board meetings will appear on HGNC’s online calendar.
- Each member is required to serve on a committee, devoting a minimum of six hours per growing season to the committee’s work.
- Membership renewal deadline: March 31, 2017
- Mandatory Spring Gathering: March 25, 2017, 1 – 3 p.m.
- Beds must be cleared of summer crops by Nov. 1, 2017. Crops remaining after this date will be marked for donation to City Harvest, unless exempted by the Landscape/ Maintenance Chair.
- Beds must be cleared completely, except for winter or cover crops, by Nov. 15, 2017.
- Check HGNC’s online calendar for work days and other events.
- HGNC operates on an honor system; membership in this garden is a position of trust. Accordingly, theft of any kind from members or of HGNC property will result in the immediate loss of membership and all attendant privileges, including planting and harvesting as well as participation in HGNC activities. This could also result in criminal charges.
- HGNC is a welcoming and fully inclusive organization that strives to maintain an environment of amity and mutual respect. Therefore, insulting, rude, or otherwise inappropriate conduct that the Board determines to be consistently disruptive to our community may result in loss of membership and its attendant privileges.