Privileges, Rules and Requirements of Membership, Common Agreements
By submitting the membership agreement linked to this page, I certify that I have read, understand, and support the mission and goals of Hansberry Garden and Nature Center, Inc. (HGNC). I agree to abide by the following rules and conditions, and I also agree to abide by any further rules established by the HGNC Board of Directors. Membership terms have changed, so we ask that both new and returning members read carefully.
and Important Dates for the 2022 Season
HGNC Shared Commitments
Signing an agreement for a planting bed or for a supporting membership to Hansberry Garden and Nature Center is an agreement to the following shared commitments:
- We agree to share Hansberry Garden’s approach to protecting our environment through the use of nontoxic solutions to soil-health and horticulture problems. Synthetic chemicals (for example, pesticides, herbicides, and nonorganic fertilizers) are prohibited. We agree to contact a board member for approval before using any nonorganic method or substance anywhere in the garden.
- We understand that HGNC is a welcoming and fully inclusive organization that strives to maintain an environment of amity and mutual respect. Therefore, insulting, rude, or otherwise inappropriate conduct that the board determines to be consistently disruptive to our community may result in loss of membership and its attendant privileges.
- We agree to respect our fellow garden members and visitors with our actions and in our communications.
- We understand that HGNC operates on an honor system; membership in this garden is a position of trust. Accordingly, theft of any kind from members or of HGNC property will result in the immediate loss of membership and all attendant privileges, loss of right to harvest, and/or possible legal action.
- As a community, we welcome children and always encourage them to come to the garden to play or plant. In the interest of safety, children must be accompanied and supervised by at least one adult, age 18 or older, for the duration of their visit.
- We understand that Hansberry Garden is an all-volunteer organization, requiring the participation of all members to succeed.
- HGNC is governed by a governing board with elected officers. Any member may attend a board meeting and are encouraged to do so. Board meetings will appear on HGNC’s online calendar.
- A minimum of 10 volunteer hours are required of each planting-bed household per year to remain in good standing and therefore able to keep the same planting bed for the following year. (See “Membership Requirements” below.) HGNC tracks volunteer hours of members to help us better share the work of the garden with each other and to support grant proposals for funding. Keeping track of additional hours beyond the minimum number required helps with our attempts to secure grant funding.
- Members are also encouraged to support and assist with fundraising efforts of HGNC (Mother’s Day weekend plant sale; smaller events through the season; letters inviting donations as the season closes or at year end).
- We grant Hansberry Garden & Nature Center permission to use our likenesses in photographs, videos, or other digital media in any and all of its publications, including web-based publications, without payment or other consideration.
- We understand that neither HGNC, the HGNC Board, nor any HGNC member is responsible for our actions. We therefore agree to indemnify and hold harmless HGNC Inc., or its board, collectively or individually, for any liability, loss or claim that occurs in connection with the use of HGNC by us or any of our family or guests.
- I/We understand that I am/we are responsible for any damage, loss or theft caused by me, my family and/or my guests and that I/we may be subject to making restitution to HGNC for such damage.
Privileges of Planting Membership
- Each $40 planting membership fee covers one planting bed or membership in our experimental gardening collective. Sharing a membership with a friend does not increase the cost unless you want an additional set of keys. There is an additional cost of $5 for the first set of keys. Replacement keys are at market rate.
- Members have full access to tools, water, and supplies stored in the tool shed and gardening resources available on site to cultivate their own beds. The long-anticipated water renewal project began last season and was, like many things in 2020, Covid-interrupted. We continue to await excavation, but sincerely hope that 2022 is our year!
- Members are entitled to attend Board meetings, special members’ events, and all community events or workshops hosted by Hansberry Garden.
Practical Gardening Agreements for our Shared Use of Space
- Members will notify the Membership Chair of extended absences during the growing season to specify maintenance and harvest arrangements during the absence.
- Plants in members’ beds must not block walkways or impinge upon neighboring beds.
- Members will not plant outside their beds unless approved by the Landscape/Maintenance Chair.
- Beds must be cleared and planted by June 15 or the member household forfeits its bed. Please ask for assistance from a mentor or consider joining the gardening collective if you have trouble getting started!
- Members agree to harvest produce in a timely manner from their planting bed. If ripe produce is neglected in a bed, members should expect to hear from someone about donating their produce to the City Harvest Program.
How Do You Become a Member?
Priority for planting beds will be given to residents living in Southwest Germantown, defined by these borders: Chelten Avenue to Wayne Junction; Germantown Avenue to Wissahickon Avenue; and secondarily to Philadelphia City residents.
Members in good standing who already hold planting beds are not affected by this rule change, made in 2021.
- Members agree to attend the annual Spring Gathering on March 19, 2022, 10 a.m. to noon (in the garden, weather permitting; check your email the day before; Zoom, if necessary)
- Membership becomes active when
- HGNC receives the annual $40 membership fee or a request for a scholarship (new & returning members) and the submission of the membership application form (online form at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe6MZe4KWovg20vvTnbmhR25g-YihjTWIDIWkqz227xStIwLQ/viewform?usp=sf_link); printable version at Membership Renewal Form 2022.pdf which is confirmed received by someone on the Membership Team.
- HGNC receives the $5 key fee (new members only)
- AND members have attended the Spring Gathering (new and returning members) and an orientation session (required for new members, if a planting bed is available).
Returning members who have gardened with HGNC for at least one season consecutively who renew after February 28 may begin gardening prior to the Spring Gathering after having a conversation with the Membership Chair: [215-327-8727], in order to take advantage of early spring crops and early bed preparation as soon as the ground thaws.
2022 Membership Requirements Include:
- Members commit to completing ten (10) volunteer hours per Planting Bed household during the course of the 2022 season: March through October.
- The Board and Committees will provide multiple ways for you to fulfill this membership requirement. You are welcome to keep giving, once your required hours are completed:
- Monthly Tend the Garden Days (group workdays, lots of fun, but on Saturdays, when some can’t attend)
- Posted Task Lists online and at the garden following workdays, follow-up for individuals who can’t make the workdays
- Tasks for those who can’t do physical labor
- Committee work, leadership roles
- Events staffing and planning
- Hosting of public garden hours, every Saturday, 10 am to noon, May through September (We hope to begin public hours of the garden this season when we can.)
- Other needs lifted up through the season
Event Hosts/Committee Leaders will provide sign-in sheets to gather volunteer hours for group events. There is also a Garden Member Notebook kept in the shed for members to keep track of participation in fulfilling required hours (and more!) for the season. Other sign-up methods may be added later in the season.
2021 Membership Application
Hansberry Garden & Nature Center’s membership application for 2021 is at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe6MZe4KWovg20vvTnbmhR25g-YihjTWIDIWkqz227xStIwLQ/viewform?usp=sf_link