Hansberry Garden and Nature Center 2018 Membership Agreement and Application
Because our garden is full to capacity for the 2018 growing season, we will not accept new applications for membership until next year. Check back in February for information about 2019 membership.
By submitting this membership agreement, I certify that I have read, understand, and support the mission and goals of Hansberry Garden and Nature Center, Inc. (HGNC). I agree to abide by the following rules and conditions, and I also agree to abide by any further rules established by the HGNC Board of Directors.
Printable version (PDF)
Note: membership application begins on page 4 of this document
- I agree to attend the annual Spring Gathering on March 17, 2018.
- I understand that my membership will not become active until HGNC receives my $40 membership, and $5 key fee for new members, upon submission of this form.
- In the interest of protecting our environment, HGNC aims to use non-toxic solutions to soil health and horticulture problems. Synthetic chemicals (for example, pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers), are prohibited. I agree to contact a Board member for approval before using any non-organic method or substance anywhere in the garden.
- I agree to respect my fellow garden members and visitors with my actions and in my communications.
- I agree to support and assist with fundraising efforts of HGNC.
- I understand that neither HGNC, the HGNC Board, nor any HGNC member is responsible for my actions. I therefore agree to indemnify and hold harmless HGNC Inc., or its Board, collectively or individually, for any liability, loss or claim that occurs in connection with the use of HGNC by me or any of my family or guests.
- I understand that I am responsible for any damage, loss or theft caused by me, my family and/or my guests and that I may be subject to making restitution to HGNC for such damage.
- New members agree to attend one of three scheduled orientation sessions on
- Thursday, March 22, 2018, from 6 – 7 p.m. or
- Saturday, March 24, 2018, from 10 – 11 a.m. or
- Sunday, March 25, 2018 from 1:30 – 2:30 p.m.
- Returning members will pay the $40 membership fee and submit membership agreements by March 17 in order to maintain use of the same bed assigned to them the previous year.
- If membership has not been renewed by March 17, use of the same bed is not guaranteed.
- Returning members will notify the Membership Chair by March 31 if they do not plan to participate as Planting Members for the upcoming planting season, and will return the garden and shed keys to the Membership Chair.
Privileges of Membership
- Each $40 planting-membership fee covers one planting bed. There is an additional cost of $5 for first set or replacement keys.
- Members have full access to tools, water and supplies stored in the tool shed and gardening resources available on site to cultivate their own beds.
- Members are entitled to attend Board meetings, special members’ events, and all community events or workshops.
Rules of Participation
- Members will commit to participating in a minimum of three during the year of this membership. All members will be notified of dates and times of work days in advance. Additionally, members also agree to devote a minimum of 10 volunteer hours (beyond the time spent working on their own beds) to a choice of necessary garden maintenance tasks during the growing season (April – November).
- Each member will volunteer in some capacity, a minimum of six hours per growing season, to at least one committee, event, or project.
- Children are always welcome and encouraged to come to the garden to play or plant. In the interest of safety, children must be accompanied and supervised by at least one adult, age 18 or over, for the duration of their visit.
- To support the fundraising efforts of HGNC and partner organizations, Members will record their volunteer time in any activity related to the functioning of Hansberry Garden.
- Members will notify the Membership Chair of extended absences during the growing season to specify maintenance and harvest arrangements during the absence.
- Plants in members’ beds must not block walkways or impinge upon neighboring beds.
- Members will not plant outside their beds unless approved by the Landscape/Maintenance Chair.
- Members agree to harvest produce in a timely manner from their bed. If a bed is noticeably neglected, HGNC reserves the right to donate produce from that bed to the City Harvest Program. To opt out of this program, contact the City Harvest Chair.
- Members are encouraged to attend Board meetings. Board meetings will appear on HGNC’s online calendar
- Membership renewal deadline: March 31, 2018
- Spring Gathering: March 17, 2018, 10 a.m. – noon.
- Beds must be cleared of summer crops by Nov. 1. Crops remaining after this date will be marked for donation to City Harvest, unless exempted by the Landscape/ Maintenance Chair.
- Beds must be cleared completely, except for winter or cover crops, by Nov. 15.
- HGNC operates on an honor system; membership in this garden is a position of trust. Accordingly, theft of any kind from members or of HGNC property will result in the immediate loss of membership and all attendant privileges, loss of right to harvest, and/or possible legal action.
- HGNC is a welcoming and fully inclusive organization that strives to maintain an environment of amity and mutual respect. Therefore, insulting, rude, or otherwise inappropriate conduct that the Board determines to be consistently disruptive to our community may result in loss of membership and its attendant privileges.